What is Unity?
Unity Church of Overland Park is a diverse spiritual home that embraces and radiates unconditional love, joy, abundance, and inclusiveness. Unity is a positive, practical, and progressive approach to Christianity based on the teachings of Jesus and the power of prayer. Unity honors the universal truths in all religions and respects each individual’s right to choose a spiritual path. We are a non-denominational movement. Unity is considered a movement of new thought, providing spiritual education through god-centered beliefs.
Unity ‘s Five Basic Principles
We encourage you to explore and apply Unity teachings based on your own spiritual understanding. We believe this spiritual understanding is enhanced through reflective prayer and meditation.
The five basic ideas that make up the Unity belief system are:
- God is the source and creator of all. There is no other enduring power. God is good and present everywhere.
- We are spiritual beings, created in God’s image. The spirit of God lives within each person; therefore, all people are inherently good.
- We create our life experiences through our way of thinking.
- There is power in affirmative prayer, which we believe increases our awareness of God.
- Knowledge of these spiritual principles is not enough. We must live them.
We want to support you as you begin to get involved and get to know others at Unity Church of Overland Park. Here are some great next steps:
- Join us on Sunday – be part of our inspiring and transformational Sunday celebration services.
- Bring your children on Sunday to join other children learning how to pray, meditate and live a positive and fulfilling life at an early age.
- Connect with a group of like-minded people with common interests.
- Subscribe to eNews and stay connected to Unity Church of Overland Park’s events and happenings.
- Take a class or workshop – explore Unity teachings, universal Truth principles and your own beliefs.
- Volunteer and step into service in our spiritual community and local community – truly make a difference for others and our world.
- Become a member of Unity Church of Overland Park – affirm your commitment to living universal Truth principles and setting a positive example for others and our world!
Membership at Unity Church of Overland Park offers you the opportunity to grow in Spirit. As you pursue your spiritual path we encourage you to explore what it means to be committed to living universal truths. Membership in Unity is not required, but is encouraged as a way for an individual to commit to his or her own spiritual growth. Active members attend services regularly, participate in events, invest their time in service to our spiritual community, attend classes and contribute their financial gifts to Unity Church of Overland Park.
Why consider membership?
- Becoming a member confirms to you and your spiritual community that you are committed to living a life of love, abundance and meaning. It affirms a sense of commitment to personal spiritual growth, ownership of your individual beliefs and a willingness to make a difference.
- Membership in Unity Church of Overland Park helps to transform any old feelings of “not belonging.” Many of us arrive at Unity from other traditions having searched for a place where we feel at home. Embracing membership affirms, “I belong!”
- Committing to membership is a public affirmation that says “I walk my talk” setting a example for others in living a positive life.
- Only members can participate in voting on important church matters.
- You become a part of the growing group of people who are living consciously and actively making a difference in the world.
Join Rev. Keri King in exploring Unity’s five basic principles based on the book, “The Five Principles” by Ellen Debenport. This is a five week class offered after church on Sundays from 11:30am to 1:00pm and is a prerequisite to membership at UCOP. It is also open to anyone interested in deepening their understanding of the practical application of Unity Principles to their everyday life. These classes are offered two or three times a year and the membership culminates with a sacred blessing from our spiritual community during our celebration service on Membership Sunday.
To become a member, attendance is required at all five classes for additional information, please contact Rev. Keri King at email@example.com.
We want you to feel comfortable joining us for Sunday celebration services. Attire varies from jeans to business wear.